1. In 1880, P. Johnson received Patent for Eye protector
2. In 1886, Henry Brown received Patent for Receptacle for Storing and Preserving Papers
3. In 1886, I. D. Davis received Patent for Tonic
4. In 1889, The last great African king is crowned. Menelik II becomes “Negusa Nagast,” King of Kings, of Abyssinia, now Ethiopia.
5. In 1903, Maggie L. Walker opens the St. Luke Penny Savings Bank in Richmond, Va.
6. In 1920 The Ocoee Massacre. In response to an attempt by African Americans to exercise their legal and democratic right to vote, at least 50 African Americans were murdered in a brutal massacre in Ocoee, Florida.
7. In 1930, Haile Selassie is crowned Emperor of Ethiopia after the death of Ethiopian Empress Zawditu.
8. In 1983, By Act Of Congress, M.L.King Jr.’s Birthday becomes legal holiday.
9. In 2008, Lewis Hamilton won the Formula One World Championship in Sao Paulo, Brazil.