1. In 1954, Defense Department eliminated segregated regiments.
2. In 1956, Mayor Gayle of Montgomery, Alabama looks for legal ways to stop carpools utilized by the organizers of the Montgomery Boycott.
3. In 1966, The Black Panther Party is founded in California by Huey Newton and Bobby Seale. The full name was the Black Panther Party for Self Defense. It was formed in large measure to bring attention to and combat brutality against blacks by the Oakland, Ca., Police Department.
4. In 1974, Muhammad Ali defeats George Foreman for the heavyweight boxing title. The fight took place in Zaire, now the Congo, and was billed as the “Rumble in the Jungle.”
5. In 1991, BET Holdings, Inc. sells 4.2 million shares of stock in an initial public offering, becoming the first black company listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Co-founder Bob Johnson has since sold the company to the media giant, Viacom. Black Entertainment Television is pay television channel targeting African American audiences.
6. In 2009, President Obama Signs Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act of 2009