1. In 1887, A. Miles The elevator as well as safety devices for elevators where invented by Alexander Miles, Patent # 371,207
2. In 1887, Granville T. Woods Received Patent for Telephone system & Apparatus
3. In 1898, C. O. Bailiff received Patent for Shampoo headrest
4. In 1898, W. H. Johnson received Patent for Overcoming Dead Centers
5. In 1939, N.A.A.C.P. organized the Legal Defense and Education Fund.
6. Inj 1972, The Riot on the Kitty Hawk took place. The Kitty Hawk was a powder keg awaiting a fuse to be lit. Racial unrest triggered the worst shipboard riot in U.S. Navy history. Inside the Navy, race relations were uniquely troubled as black sailors were typically assigned to the ship’s most miserable jobs. The ship erupted into chaos. Black sailors roamed the ship’s passageways, beating white sailors with makeshift weapons such as broom handles, wrenches and pieces of pipe.