1. Charles (Buddy) Bolden, cornet player and is regarded by contemporaries as a key figure in the development of a New Orleans style of rag-time music which later came to be known as jazz.
2. Jimmy Reed, Bluesman, songwriter, Guitarist and Harmonica player, notable for bringing his distinctive style of blues to mainstream audiences. Reed was a major player in the field of electric blues, as opposed to the more acoustic-based sound of many of his contemporaries. His singing, piercing harmonica and hypnotic guitar patterns were one of the blues’ most easily identifiable sounds in the 1950s and 1960s and had a significance impact on many rock and roll artists who followed.
3. Sylvester James, better known as Sylvester, disco and soul singer, “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)”
4. Michael Winslow, Actor and a comedian billed as the “Man of 10,000 Sound Effects” for his ability to make realistic sound effects using only his voice.
5. Macy Gray is a grammy award winning American R&B and soul singer-songwriter, record producer, and actress, famed for her distinctive raspy voice and a singing style heavily influenced by Billie Holiday.
6. Cecelia (CeCe) Piniston, Rhythm & Blues Artist, is an African American recording artist and former beauty queen. At the beginning of the nineties, she was considered to be one of the most successful dance club artists in the history of the U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play, scoring five major number one hits in the chart within three years. Her signature song “Finally” (#5 in the Hot 100) and (#2 in UK Top 75]) became one of the biggest dance singles, selling three million copies worldwide.
7. Anika Noni Rose, singer and actress known for her Tony Award winning performance in the Broadway production of Caroline, or Change and her starring roles in the films Dreamgirls and The Princess and the Frog.
8. Idris Elba, television, theatre, and film actor who has starred in both British and American productions. Elba grew up in Canning Town, East London. One of his first acting roles was in the soap opera Family Affairs. He has worked in a variety of TV roles including Ultraviolet and The Inspector Lynley Mysteries. He is known for playing Russell “Stringer” Bell, a Baltimore drug lord and aspiring businessman, in HBO’s critically acclaimed show The Wire. Elba is a DJ under the moniker DJ Big Driis / Big Driis the Londoner, and a hip-hop soul recording artist.
9. Noreaga, Victor Santiago Jr, Rapp Artist, He is one half of the group Capone-N-Noreaga.
10. Inga DeCarlo Fung Marchand, better known as Foxy Brown, is a rapper known for her solo work as well as numerous collaborations with other artists and her brief stint as part of hip hop music group The Firm. Raised in Brooklyn, New York. Her albums include Ill Na Na in 1996, followed by Chyna Doll in 1999, and Broken Silence in 2001. She also performed in the 1997 self-titled album by the Firm, the only album to be released by that group to date.
11. Darryl Anthony, Rhythm & Blues Artist (Az Yet)