1. In 1891, W. Queen Received Patent for Guard for companion ways & hatches
2. In 1951, The Five Keys make their chart debut with (The Glory of Love).
3. In 1963, James Meredith graduates from University of Mississippi. His graduation was unmarred by the protests and violence that marked his federally forced admission to the once-segregated institution.
4. In 1964, South Africa was banned from the Olympic Games because of its apartheid policies.
5. In 1976, Vice Admiral Samuel L. Garvely Jr. assumed command of the U.S. Third Fleet.