1. In 1868, 14th Amendment validates citizenship for African Americans
2. In 1889, W. A. Martin received Patent for the forerunner of modern door lock.
3. In 1900, Pan-African Congress met in London. Among the leaders of the Congress were H. Sylvester Williams, a West Indian Lawyer with a London practice, W.E.B. Du Bois, and Bishop Alexander Walters.
4. In 1962, Jackie Robinson, Baseball great inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
5. In 1984, Vanessa Williams relinquishes her Miss America crown. She is replaced by Suzette Charles, the first runner-up.
6. In 2006, Tiger Woods wins his third british Open making this his 11th Golf major title.