1. In 1887, Granville T. Woods Received Patent for Polarized Relay
2. In 1892, Andrew Beard granted patent number 478,271 for his rotary engine.
3. In 1947, The Cleveland Indians were the first American League baseball team to integrate its team the summer if 1947, just a few months after Jackie Robinson first debuted for the (National League) Brooklyn Dodgers. The first black man to play in the Junior Circuit was the somewhat overlooked Larry Doby. Larry Doby plays his first game against the Chicago White Sox. He will play for both the Indians and the White Sox during his 13-year, major-league career.
4. In 1975, Arthur Ashe makes history by becoming the first African American male to win the men’s single title at Wimbledon Defeating Jimmy Conners.
5. In 1989, Barry Bond’s home run sets father-son (Bobby) HR record at 408.
6. In 1990, Zina Garrison upsets Steffi Graf in the Wimbledon semi-finals.
7. In 1994, In an attempt to halt a surge of Haitian refugees, the Clinton administration announces it is refusing entry to new Haitian boat people.