1. In 1776, Declaration of Independence is adopted. An entire section denouncing the slave trade was deleted. the Declaration contains an apparent promise of liberty and equality that was unfulfilled for African-Americans.
2. In 1827, Slavery abolished in New York
3. In 1875, White Democrats killed several Blacks in terrorist attacks in Vicksburg, Mississippi.
4. In 1876, Elijah McCoy Received Patent for Steam Cylinder Lubricator
5. In 1881, Booker T. Washington opened Tuskegee Institute in Alabama
6. In 1883, Lemington Elder Care Services (LECS) began. Located in Pittsburgh, this was one of the first Homes for the Aged and Infirm Colored Women in America and it is the oldest continuously operated home for the aged existing in the United States.
7. In 1899, R. Hearness received Patent for Detachable car fender
8. In 1910, First Black heavyweight champion, Jack Johnson successfully defended his heavyweight championship by knocking out Jim “The Great White Hope” Jeffries, who had come out of retirement “to win back the title for the White race”
9. In 1959, The Cayman Islands, separated from Jamaica, are made a British Crown Colony.
10. In 1963, Marian Anderson and Ralph Bunche receive the first Medals of Freedom from President John F. Kennedy, the creator of the award.
11. In 1970, 100 persons are injured in racially motivated disturbances in Asbury Park, New Jersey.
12. In 1972, NAACP convention adopted emergency resolution charging that President Nixon was “leading the mob in its assault upon the Fourteenth Amendment’s Equal Protection clause.”
13. In 1990, “2 Live Crew” release “Banned in the USA”; the lyrics quote “The Star Spangled Banner” & “The Gettysburg Address.”
14. In 1991, The National Civil Rights Museum officially opens at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tenn., the site of the assassination of civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr.
15. In 1999, This day markst the 26th anniversary of the Treaty of Chaguramas which was signed in Trinidad, July 4, 1973 to establish the Caribbean Community and Common Market – CARICOM. It was the result of a 15 year effort to fulfil the hope of regional integration which began with the establishment of the British West Indies Federation.