1. In 1864, Congress passed the enrollment Act that authorized equal pay for Black soldiers.
2. In 1921, Georgianna R. Simpson became the first Black woman to receive a Ph. D. at the University of Chicago.
3. In 1939, The Ethel Waters Show, a variety special appears on NBC. It is the first time an African American appears on television
4. In 1952, Dr. Harold D. West is named President of Meharry Medical College
5. In 1970, Cheryl Adrienne Brown wins the Miss Iowa pageant and becomes the first African American to compete in the Miss America beauty pageant.
6. In 1971, Justice Department filed suit against the St. Louis suburb of Black Jack, charging the community with illegally using municipal procedures to block an integrated housing development.
7. In 1989, Congressman William Gray is elected Democratic Whip of the House of Representatives, the highest ranking leadership position ever held by an African American in Congress.
8. In 2011, This Blog “What’s The Word” has reached the milestone of 10,000 views. This is something that you may want to remember in February 2012.