1. In 1773, Jeanne Baptiste Pointe de Sable founded settlement now known as Chicago, Ill.
2. In 1791, Benjamin Banneker commissioned to lay out the District of Columbia.
3. In 1945, New York became the first state to established a Fair Employment Practices Commission.
4. In 1964, Malcolm X resigned from the Nation of Islam.
5. In 1977, The Gap Band a trio from Tulsa, OK makes their chart debut with “Out Of The Blue”, the first of over two dozen singles that the band placed on the charts.
6. In 1982, Charles Fuller wins the Pulitzer Prize for A Soldier’s Play