1. In 1775, Prince Hall and fourteen other Blacks were initiated into British Military Lodge No. 441 of the Masons at Fort Independence, Massachusetts. Hall was a leather-dresser and caterer. On July 3, 1775, African Lodge No.1 was organized in Boston by a group of Black Masons.
2. In 1857, The Dred Scott decision of the Supreme Court denied Blacks U.S. citizenship and denied the power of Congress to restrict slavery in any federal territory.
3. In 1901, Virginia State University is founded.
4. In 1957, Ghana became an independent state, the Gold Coast gained it’s independence from Great Britain. Independence Square celebrations – Accra, Ghana Ghana – Political History Ghana lies at the heart of a region which has been leading sub-Saharan African culture since the first millennium BC in metal-working, mining, sculpture an…
5. In 1964, Elijah Muhammad renames Cassius Clay, Muhammad Ali.
6. In 1967, Muhammad Ali is ordered by selective service to be inducted into the Armed Services.
7. In 1981, Dr. Bernard Harleston, former dean of arts and sciences at Tufts University, appointed president of New York’s City College.
9. In 1985, Mike Tyson KOs Hector Mercedes in the first round in his first pro fight.