1. In 1870, Congress passed resolution readmitting Mississippi to the Union on condition that it would never change its constitution to disenfranchise Blacks.
2. In 1880, S. R. Scottron Received Patent for Adjustable Window Cornice
3. In 1885, G. T. Sampson Received Patent for Sled Propeller
4. In 1891, A. C. Richardson received Patent for Churn
5. In 1973, The Navy frigate USS Jesse L. Brown was commissioned. The ship was named for Ensign Jesse L. Brown, the first African American naval aviator killed in combat over Korea.
6. In 1997, Virginia House of Delegates votes unanimously to retire the state song, “Carry me back to old virginia” , a tune which glorifies slavery.
7. In 2009, President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act