1. In 1874, Armed Democrats seize Texas government and end Radical Reconstruction in Texas.
2. In 1917, U.S. succeeded Denmark as the sovereign authority in the Virgin Islands.
3. In 1923, First session of Three Pan-African Congress sessions convened in London. Second session was held in Lisbon.
4. In 1923, The Spingarn Medal awarded to George Washington Carver, head of the department of research, Tuskegee Institute, for his pioneering work in agricultural chemistry.
5. In 1923, Twenty-nine Blacks were reported lynched in 1923.
6. In 1970, John M. Burgess installed as bishop of the Protestant Episcopal diocese of Massachusetts.
7. In 1978, Dr Ronald McNair named for a space mission