1. In 1870, H. Spears Received Patent for Portable shield for infantry
2. In 1887, Stewart & Johnson received Patent for Metal bending machine
3. In 1892, The first black football game was played by Biddle University in Charlotte, NC (now Johnson C. Smith University) against Livingstone College in Salisbury, N.C. The Golden Bulls earned their first historic victory in what today is called the Commemorative Classic, an annual tradition at JCSU.
4. In 1904, Monroe Nathan Work marries Florence Evelyn Hendrickson. Greatly assisted by his wife, Work will publish “The Negro Year Book”, and annual encyclopedia of African American achievement. He will later publish “A Bibliography of the Negro in Africa and American” (1928) with over 17,000 entries.
5. In 1941, Pioneer of blood plasma research, Dr Charles Richard Drew, establishes a pioneer blood bank in New York City.
6. In 1956, Federal Judge Dozier Devane granted temporary injunction restraining city officials from interfering with integration of Tallahassee, Fla., city buses and said “every segregation act of every state or city is as dead as a doornail.”
7. In 1956, Spingarn Medal awarded Jack Roosevelt (“Jackie”) Robinson, first Black in the major leagues, for his conduct on and off the baseball field.
8. In 1966, Second day of Kwanzaa, celebrating the second of seven principles, Umoja (Unity), Created by Dr.Maulana Karenga.