1. In 1881, Exodus of five thousand Blacks from Edgefield County, South Carolina. Migrants, protesting exploitation and violence, settled in Arkansas.
2. In 1881, Tennessee started modern segregation movement with Jim Crow railroad car and was followed by Florida (1887), Mississippi (1888), Texas (1889), Louisiana (1890), Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas and Georgia (1891), South Carolina (1898), North Carolina (1899), Virginia (1900), Maryland (1904), Oklahoma (1907).
3. In 1881, United Order of True Reformer established by William Washington Browne, a Methodist Minister of Richmond, Virginia.
4. In 1889, McCoy & Hodges Received Patent for Lubricator
5. In 1992, Alphonso Michael “Mike” Espy appointed Secretary of Agriculture, making him the first African American to hold this position.