1. In 1859, South Carolina was declared an “independent commonwealth.
2. In 1865, Congress passed 13th Amendment abolishing slavery in the U.S., was ratified.
3. In 1971, People United To Save Humanity (PUSH) founded at Chicago meeting by Rev Jesse Jackson.
4. In 1971, Spingarn Medal presented to Rev. Leon H. Sullivan, founder of Opportunities Industrialization Centers of America (OIC) for his leadership.
5. In 1989, Ernest Dickerson wins the New York Film Critics Circle Award for best cinematography for the Spike Lee movie, “Do the Right Thing”.
6. In 1996, Oakland, California School board becomes the 1st in the nation to recognize Black English aka Ebonics as a sepearate language, NOT a dialect or slang.