1. In 1842, The First Fugitive Slave Case, Capture of George Latimer in Boston led to first of the fugitive slave cases which embittered North and South. Boston abolitionists raised money to purchase Latimer from his slaveholder.
2. In 1911, Fraternity,Omega Psi Phi, founded on the campus of Howard University, 1911
3. In 1972, Andrew Young of Atlanta was the first Black elected to Congress from the Deep South since the Reconstruction era.
4. In 1972, Barbara Jordan (Tex.) elected to Congress
5. In 1972, Senator Edward W. Brooke of Massachusetts was overwhelmingly endorsed for a second term.
6. In 1972, Yvonne Brathwaite Burke (Calif.).elected to Congress
7. In 1980, WHMM-TV in Washington, DC becomes the first African American broadcasting television station
8. In 1989, Katherine Dunham received the National Medal of Arts.